Monday, November 22, 2010

Irony?

I think it is sort of ironic in trying to start something, I may have actually stopped something. And that thing is true inner conversation, of which I know very little. It is partially in my relationships and partially in my career as a student that I have been able to find out how I have a lot of trouble having my own point of view. And so I began to use the Catechism as a facade for my own opinion and began to lose myself even more because I didn't need to think if I was getting all of my answers from the Catechism or some Church teaching. I think that I really need to figure out what's going on in my own spirituality and thinking if I'm going to try to lead others in their own spirituality and thinking as a teacher too.

One of the things that really troubled me about how I was getting my spirituality from the Catechism was exactly losing myself... and gaining static answers that could not come to life because I had suffocated my own voice for that of another: the Church. On this topic, similar or equal to the topic of conscience and Church, the Catechism actually has some things to say that might help me find my own voice again. Connected through George Weigel, I would like to read some of Cardinal John Henry Newman to get a better sense of where I can go and what I can do as a result of my interest in the Church. I'm not trying to do something huge this time, like how I approached the first post. Instead, I hope to get some small bits of wisdom here and there reading and writing about some of the information. I'll just see what happens from this intention.


1 comment:

  1. Quick correction on my thought about losing myself in the answers of the Church... I think it is more that I was ignoring my own situation. I was ignoring the here and now, where I was as a person in my relationships to others and trying to apply abstract principles (that's how I understood them) to a situation in which I didn't listen to what the problems were, my problems that is. It seems like I was making a smoothie and blending a bunch of things together regardless of how it tasted and what kind of nutrition it had in the end.

    ReplyDelete