Friday, September 28, 2012

Blogging Again

I have wanted to get back writing on this blog for some time, simply to continue to write without the pressure of obligation that exists within the context of academic commitments. There is something about free writing that eases the process, and lets it flow easier. Why do I write? Because I want to express myself in a public fashion, and reflect on life rationally, as well as reveal something of my own spirit. What do I write about? Anything at all. Nothing too personal, nothing slanderous, nothing overly narcissistic, nothing discomforting or too comforting. I am just writing for writing's sake, to get back in the habit, to make it a habit. I don't have to worry about quality, or expectations of readers. I am attracted to write in this way.

Of course I will try to write well. There is certainly a way to be clumsy in writing, and a way to be graceful. I hope to attain some hint of grace.

As I have written before, my identity as a married Catholic man (still need change the subtitle of the blog) takes precedent over any other relationship or identity, though functionally there are certain givens that need to be assumed. I exist in a specific type of geography, culture, government, economy, society. I cannot presume to have made some overly conscious decision concerning these contexts. We are given a place to be in the world, and that's that. It is a gift for better or worse. Existence here and now - no choice about that. Perhaps there is an ongoing choice to remain in existence, once it is recognized that there is the possibility of intentionally leaving existence. That possibility does not entertain me in the least. Perhaps I will comment on it later, perhaps not. It is no doubt a dark subject which I do not wish to broach at this juncture. I intend such a beginning to demonstrate some levity and free-ness of presentation and reception both with others and myself.

And so, I wish to write about something that has been preoccupying me for some time now before it gets lost in my bad memory. I believe it would be called personal spiritual meta-narratives. These personal spiritual meta-narratives are those ways of understanding our own lives self-reflexively with respect to God. These meta-narratives grasp at life's entire meaning, only speculatively of course, but still with some degree of confidence from the one reflecting. It is an always in-the-works story about the ultimate meaning of our lives.

 (Note: I understand that there are subconscious conceptual histories that find their way into my writing of which I am unaware: a long tradition of the intersection between Greek ontological philosophy and Hebrew theology. So long as I remain unlearned with respect to the intersection of these two traditions and their long history, I will not be able to address the matter of how exactly they arise in my own writing. Getting around such a concept is obviously not easy to anyone; that word has such a pervasive history that I can only do such as I have: note that the depth of its meaning and history is beyond my own knowledge, and move on with my writing.) 

Well there it is. That's really all I wanted to write for today. It certainly took me much longer than I intended, but that's what happens when the gears haven't been turning for a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment